Transform Illinois coalition members testified before the state Senate Government Reform Committee to introduce lawmakers to the group’s mission and highlight legislation designed to reduce the size, scope and cost of local government. Chairman Dan Cronin and MPC’s Josh Ellis and Alden Loury also visited with the Springfield State Journal-Register editorial board to discuss the issue of government streamlining.
For more stories about efforts to streamline local government, see the links below.
Transform Illinois Coalition In Springfield
- Campaign Asks If St. Louis Area Really Needs 91 Local Governments
- Suburban leaders recognized for working to reduce government
- Editorial by Doubek: Cheer on efforts to remake government
- Editorial: What’s next? A government to oversee the dead? Oh, wait.
- Considerations and Practices of Local Government Consolidation
- Consolidation of roads, bridges could mean shift at township levels
- Editorial: What Others Are Saying
- Power Plays Not Productive
- Our View: It’s time for Illinois to get serious about consolidating local governments
- Voters take baby steps to shrink Illinois government. Only a few thousand fiefdoms to go
- Transform Illinois Coalition Pushes Ahead on Government Consolidation
- Local municipal joint purchasing program recognized with Harvard award
- Editorial: Step on toes and get rid of silly little governments
- Editorial: DuPage County, election board are building ‘new model for government’
- DuPage Election Commission could be merged with clerk’s office by end of 2017
- DuPage voters send ‘overwhelming mandate’ for government consolidation
- Consolidation ahead for Lombard-area sanitary system?
- Lake County plans for 911 dispatch consolidation
- Consolidation efforts enable DuPage County to trim budget by $10 million
- State task force hears Evanston’s consolidation story
- One Round Lake coalition seeks to consolidate three municipalities
- Our View: Oswego, Yorkville make ‘shared services’ a reality
- Belleville council votes to dissolve township, absorb services
- Officials begin process of dissolving Belleville Township
- How can government efficiency be improved?
- DuPage County agrees to take over Century Hill lighting, dissolves district
- Naperville residents to vote on township questions in November
- DuPage County sales tax drops after Water Commission moves towards autonomy
- State lawmakers, advocates tout bill for local government consolidation
- DuPage looking to consolidate election commission, clerk’s office
- Nobody Likes a Government Diet – Especially Taxpayers
- Transform IL Coalition carries the message to Springfield
- Can Prospect Heights residents dissolve their own town? by Melissa Silverberg of the Daily Herald
- Streamlining government can be a boost
- View Illinois Information Service video on legislature introduced by Governor Rauner
- Read Sen. Dan Biss’ blog post, “What Should be Done About Townships?”
- “What Does Efficient Government Mean Anyway?” by Paula Worthington
- “Behind the Numbers: Business Community Makes the Case for Local Government Efficiency,” by Nathan Hoffman
- Read Annie McDonough’s blog post, “In local government, sometimes less is more.”
- Read more about legislation which consolidated emergency dispatch services in the state.
- Chairman Cronin Eyeing Statewide Implementation of ACT Initiative
- Cronin: Others should follow DuPage’s blueprint for consolidation
- Editorial: Follow DuPage’s lead to streamline government
- Government Consolidation Goes Statewide
- PDF DuPage ACT Initiative articles